Skip to main content
Lest anyone think I was being sexist in my last post, I should clarify that my relief at the idea that watching Mary Poppins was the "girls' idea" was not gender-based whatsoever. The girls in question are not related to me. So I was just relieved that my own offspring had not chosen that particular movie. (And I'm still glad about that.)

One unfortunate side effect of the Odyssey experience is that I still can't read fiction for enjoyment. I get about two paragraphs into a story before I'm reaching for a pen. "Beginning doesn't hook me. The main character – is this the main character even? – is wooden and has no motivation at all. You should kill the main character off. In fact, you should kill all of your characters. Try macrame." Critiquing … takes a bit out of a person.

Honestly, I found the critique sessions exhilarating, both when I was in the spotlight and when I was just part of the circle. There is a power in a group like that, all sixteen of us earnestly trying to give one another our best work and our best feedback. Telling one another hard truths. Quietly listening to the hard truths. Not only did it improve our writing, it bound us together.

For now I'll stick to nonfiction, though. I'm reading "Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War" and perfectly happy with the main character so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a little tough these days. Taking a break. I will be back with more tales of grasshoppers and compost heaps and scrabble games soon.
It’s January 31. I’m sure you all know what that means! Yes, it’s time to give Marsh some advice. Here’s my little dilemma. I like the way this blog is going. (I know, some of you think it needs a bit more spice, excitement. To quote one reader: “what you need is more scrabble porn.”) But I also want to take advantage of some of the features of livejournal, particularly the community features. So I was thinking about (and actually made) a more scrabble-oriented version at livejournal. Maybe I will take some of my general scrabble posts here and expand upon them over there. I don’t know. I don’t really want to just have two identical blogs. Honestly, though, I don’t want to only post about scrabble over there, either. So. Advise me!
This was in the mail: Life’s Too Short To Clean Your Own House. A lovely brochure, featuring a lovely couple, with two lovely blond children, sitting in a lovely family room. The dad is reading a book with one of the daughters. The mom is laughing over a laptop with the other daughter. A pretty picture. Short answer portion of the quiz: 1. Why did the advertising folks choose to put two girls in the picture instead of a girl and a boy? 2. Why did they choose to have the mom pose with the laptop? 3. Who cleans the housecleaners’ houses? Bonus question: are the perky college students pictured on the inside of the brochure real housecleaners or just models?