Friday, March 25, 2005

This will be my first “major” holiday alone. Ever. I’m watching it approach like I’d watch a bouncing doorknob coming down the highway toward my windshield, with a mix of “hunh, would you look at that?” and “I wonder if that will cause a big dent?” Mostly I’m wondering if the northern Virginia Scrabble club meets on Easter.

Of course, I’m remembering past Easters. (That’s the whole point of holidays, neh?) I never have decorated eggs. Eggs weren’t a part of the tradition of my childhood. One year about ten years ago I bought one of those cheapo kits at Rite-Aid or someplace like that, but somehow I forgot to use it. I think the dyes ended up being used for one of Em’s great works of art. I like cooking the Easter dinner, although often we ended up going elsewhere for this holiday. I like the chocolate.

The music. That is my favorite part. For several years, the family took part in the huge musical celebrations that our (then) church put on. Even when I wasn’t a part, I really enjoyed that part of Easter. Flowers and dressing up and music to fill my ears and mind and soul. And chocolate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easter, eh? That's the holiday about resurrection and new life, right? Hope you're surrounded with music and chocolate, and enjoy every minute.... - whome

Unknown said...

I'm very happy with the way the day went. I watched old movies on television (okay, yes, the Hallmark Channel, shush) and unpacked more papers. I ate chocolate and dragged Curie out for several dashes in the rain.

What, that's not the traditional Easter celebration?