Skip to main content
In the fall of 1978, this little long-haired raggedy kid rode around the block over and over in a rage. No one else was outside. They were still in their living rooms, sitting before their televisions in disbelief. So she just rode her red white and blue Spirit Of '76 bike (with banana seat, of course) around and around.

She hated – hated hated hated – the Yankees.

Today, finally, she can let go of her hatred a little bit. Mostly to taunt them, but still. It is progress.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Em,

Can you spell Bucky Dent?

October 2, 1978. One game playoff to decide whether Boston or New York would paly in the American League championship series. Boston leading 2-0 with 2 outs in the 7th. Bucky Dent had hit 4 homers in 1978 and had just had to ice his foot after he fouled a pitch into his foot. On the first pitch after the delay, with 2 men on, Bucky pops up a lazy fly ball on a previously windless day. Somehow it carried over the 38 foot Green Monster to give the Yankees a 3-2 lead. The score held and New York went on to win the World Series as well in 1978.

How could that raggedy kid NOT hate the Yankees?
listeme said…
Sheesh, I wonder where that kid gets her spirit.

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a little tough these days. Taking a break. I will be back with more tales of grasshoppers and compost heaps and scrabble games soon.
It’s January 31. I’m sure you all know what that means! Yes, it’s time to give Marsh some advice. Here’s my little dilemma. I like the way this blog is going. (I know, some of you think it needs a bit more spice, excitement. To quote one reader: “what you need is more scrabble porn.”) But I also want to take advantage of some of the features of livejournal, particularly the community features. So I was thinking about (and actually made) a more scrabble-oriented version at livejournal. Maybe I will take some of my general scrabble posts here and expand upon them over there. I don’t know. I don’t really want to just have two identical blogs. Honestly, though, I don’t want to only post about scrabble over there, either. So. Advise me!
This was in the mail: Life’s Too Short To Clean Your Own House. A lovely brochure, featuring a lovely couple, with two lovely blond children, sitting in a lovely family room. The dad is reading a book with one of the daughters. The mom is laughing over a laptop with the other daughter. A pretty picture. Short answer portion of the quiz: 1. Why did the advertising folks choose to put two girls in the picture instead of a girl and a boy? 2. Why did they choose to have the mom pose with the laptop? 3. Who cleans the housecleaners’ houses? Bonus question: are the perky college students pictured on the inside of the brochure real housecleaners or just models?