Skip to main content
My favorite cure for general gloominess:

Cleaning toilets. Most cleaning works fairly well, actually, but there is something about scouring a bathroom that just realigns things in my brain. Maybe it’s the smell of Comet. I’ve tried to pass this cure on to my children, but they just sense some kind of awful trick and turn away. They’ll realize I’m right some day.

Wine and walking work for some types of gloominess. (Gloria and I combined these last week, strolling around my neighborhood with glasses of wine in the afternoon like escapees from the community center 12-step program.)

Being with your best friend cures almost anything.

Comments

Anonymous said…
well - the poetry was pretty good - now let's work on this self-image issue...!
listeme said…
I am so lucky to have you for a daughter, true!

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a little tough these days. Taking a break. I will be back with more tales of grasshoppers and compost heaps and scrabble games soon.
It’s January 31. I’m sure you all know what that means! Yes, it’s time to give Marsh some advice. Here’s my little dilemma. I like the way this blog is going. (I know, some of you think it needs a bit more spice, excitement. To quote one reader: “what you need is more scrabble porn.”) But I also want to take advantage of some of the features of livejournal, particularly the community features. So I was thinking about (and actually made) a more scrabble-oriented version at livejournal. Maybe I will take some of my general scrabble posts here and expand upon them over there. I don’t know. I don’t really want to just have two identical blogs. Honestly, though, I don’t want to only post about scrabble over there, either. So. Advise me!
This was in the mail: Life’s Too Short To Clean Your Own House. A lovely brochure, featuring a lovely couple, with two lovely blond children, sitting in a lovely family room. The dad is reading a book with one of the daughters. The mom is laughing over a laptop with the other daughter. A pretty picture. Short answer portion of the quiz: 1. Why did the advertising folks choose to put two girls in the picture instead of a girl and a boy? 2. Why did they choose to have the mom pose with the laptop? 3. Who cleans the housecleaners’ houses? Bonus question: are the perky college students pictured on the inside of the brochure real housecleaners or just models?