Skip to main content
Counting the fax machine, there are 14 different phone numbers for this household. (I'm also counting Daniel's cell phone, despite the fact that he is in Maine, since I still pay that bill!) Fourteen. This is partly because the cable modem company offers something silly like eight. So even the kids have their own land lines. But they also each have a cell phone, which may seem like coddling the suburban kiddos but is really very convenient for me. The dog does not have her own phone line.

But I hate using the phone. I rarely answer the house line (any line, really). The kids don’t even seem to notice it ringing. Guests will look at us all as we ignore the shrilling – none of us even flinch. We just keep going about our business, talking, eating, whatever. Sometimes guests will even volunteer to answer it, a little uneasily, as if they're wondering if we are avoiding someone specific or whether maybe we all are just a little confused or hard of hearing. Many people are very uncomfortable around a ringing telephone.

So technologically it is very easy to reach me. But first you have to get through the barriers my personality raises.

Comments

listeme said…
Sure sure. I lob 'em up there, you swing and miss.
listeme said…
Hm. That WOULD explain all the requests for photos...
ScorpionTear said…
Damn... all those lines-a-ringin'. Wonder if any two lines ended up ringing at once. Does this mean you have 14 different kinds of phones with 14 different kinds of rings? No one probably picks it up b/c they don't want to feel weird trying to figure out which one is ringing!

Popular posts from this blog

Life is a little tough these days. Taking a break. I will be back with more tales of grasshoppers and compost heaps and scrabble games soon.
It’s January 31. I’m sure you all know what that means! Yes, it’s time to give Marsh some advice. Here’s my little dilemma. I like the way this blog is going. (I know, some of you think it needs a bit more spice, excitement. To quote one reader: “what you need is more scrabble porn.”) But I also want to take advantage of some of the features of livejournal, particularly the community features. So I was thinking about (and actually made) a more scrabble-oriented version at livejournal. Maybe I will take some of my general scrabble posts here and expand upon them over there. I don’t know. I don’t really want to just have two identical blogs. Honestly, though, I don’t want to only post about scrabble over there, either. So. Advise me!
This was in the mail: Life’s Too Short To Clean Your Own House. A lovely brochure, featuring a lovely couple, with two lovely blond children, sitting in a lovely family room. The dad is reading a book with one of the daughters. The mom is laughing over a laptop with the other daughter. A pretty picture. Short answer portion of the quiz: 1. Why did the advertising folks choose to put two girls in the picture instead of a girl and a boy? 2. Why did they choose to have the mom pose with the laptop? 3. Who cleans the housecleaners’ houses? Bonus question: are the perky college students pictured on the inside of the brochure real housecleaners or just models?