Thursday, November 04, 2004

I’ve been doing a lot of random blogsurfing the last couple days. People have many theories on why the election went the way it did.

“It’s a mandate from God.”

“People would rather feel safe than be free.”

I’ve gotten tons of emails (most from my sister Gloria, who apparently is putting her frustration into searching the web for answers.) Some of these emails are scary, honestly. The country is veering into a frightening state that teeters on the edge of fascism, after all. We should all be wary.

I can’t waste time being depressed or even angry, though. Our side didn’t win this election, but our numbers aren’t small. We are smart and we do have a voice, a multitude of voices. We can keep talking. We can shout. We must.

My daughter yesterday said, “we should start a country called howthe***didbushwin!” My friend’s daughter said, “don’t mourn, fight.” We’re already raising the next generation of thinkers, sons and daughters who will fight ignorance and bigotry and evil. So that is step one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Shucks, I'm supposed to disgust you. That's part of my job.