Thursday, September 23, 2004

Attention Senior Parent(s): Finally your time has come. Tell your child how much they mean to you and wish them well as they leave the nest and move into a successful future. The end of a student's high school career is an important milestone in one's life, so give your senior a source of encouragement that they will look back on for years to come.

Okay, forget the fact that this seems to have been written by a 12-year-old. It's an ad for… senior ads. I can, according to the ad, send in up to ten photos with 150 words about my son. They will "artfully arrange" my photos and thoughts and publish them in the high school yearbook. (Forgive me if I'm suddenly thinking nasty thoughts about the whole Creative Memories movement. I am visualizing clip art of diaper pins and footballs.) Mostly I'm thinking that Aaron would never forgive me if I did such a thing. So, I won't.

4 comments:

John said...

I have faced the same dilemma. For Alexis, I surprised her, pretending for months that I had done nothing and missed the deadline -- when in fact I had written and designed my own ad (not leaving it up to the, uh, creative staff). She was very touched when the yearbook came out.

In Jamie's case, I actually DID forget and miss the deadline. She was a little hurt. Oh well.

Speaking of clip art, the story around my OWN high school yearbook is even more dramatic. But I have to get back to work now :-)

Unknown said...

I think Daniel must have intercepted the letter last year.

Anonymous said...

You're darn right I did. :)

Unknown said...

I'm sure it's for the best. No telling what I could have come up with, sifting through the old photos.