Monday, October 04, 2004

A hamburger Happy Meal: 260 calories for the burger, 230 calories for small fries, 110 calories for a child-sized Coke. So 600 calories. That's about a third of the calories a normal woman should have in a day.

560 calories for a Big Mac, 520 for the large fries, 310 for a large Coke. So 1390 for the grownup meal. Large chocolate shake: 1160 calories.

So. If I absolutely must do fast food, and yes, sometimes I must, then I get a Happy Meal. The toys for boys are a little cooler than the toys for girls, generally. But for the sake of the nieces, I usually choose the girl ones and give them to the girls if I remember.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, let me get this straight: toys for boys are cooler, and you deliberately choose the less cool ones for your nieces. And they wonder why women grow up feeling like second-class citizens :-)

(Actually, nobody really wonders that.)

As for fast food: must you -really-? Can't you stock up on powerbars and apples and bananas for those times when you are dashing out to club or don't have time to breathe between errands?

I'm only half-kidding. Eat what you want. And kid portions are a fine idea. ;-)

Unknown said...

Nah, I don't choose them because they're less cool. I choose them because that's what the nieces like. I'm their aunt. I can get away with it.

When you are three, you don't care about societal pressures or gender inequity so much. You want what you want and you want it right now!

Back to seething about the effects of supersizing on our nation.

Anonymous said...

I made the mistake today of looking at the box as I tossed it out and saw my favorite 3-letter treat is 370 calories! Last night I eschewed a can of sugared soda just so I could buy myself a snack. D'oh!

--Penny Worth