Friday, October 01, 2004

On the way home from school, Aaron (and Chris and Em and Devon) were sideswiped by another teenaged driver. The poor kid spoke very little English and was obviously terrified. Aaron wrote down a notebook page worth of information about the other car, the driver, the passenger; he had three addresses and phone numbers, license plate numbers, vehicle identification number… I think if the kid had had textbooks with him, Aaron might have jotted down the titles. He was very very thorough. The other kid didn't even take down Aaron's phone number. After my initial rush of terror when Devon started out saying: "Hello, Mrs. McPhee, I have bad news," (note to Devon, always start out by saying "we're all okay!"), I was just so relieved that they were okay, that Aaron and his passengers handled themselves so well, that they were smart and calm and kind to the other driver.

Of course, it took me until at least one o'clock in the morning to fall asleep. I kept thinking about what could have happened. Why the heck do I do that?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No worries!

Besides, I'm paranoid. I'd probably have been terrified even if you HAD said you were all right.